Sunday, December 22, 2013

How To Make a Simple Photobooth Backdrop


You will need:
Scrapbooking paper in the color and texture of your choice, a sewing machine, a dowel(mine was a cedar fence board that was cut with a table saw), tape, and a circle paper punch(mine was 2 1/2 inches).

Start punching your circles out. I used 3 different types of gold paper. 2 in which were glitter paper.. I recommend keeping your scrapbooking paper simple. The glitter kept getting stuck in the puncher, and jamming it. It hurt my hands, and I wished that I would have just used the simple shiny gold paper instead for the whole project. The backdrop would have been bigger, but my hands hurt from stamping the thick glitter paper. So there is my 2 cents on paper types. Keep it simple.

Once you are ready to start sewing them together - Make sure that you have quite a bit of thread extended out to begin with. It will be the top of the strand. You will need enough to wrap that thread around the dowel when the strand is completed.
Make sure to have your tension loose, and will you have to pull the paper while sewing to separate the circles. If you don't the thread will cinch together leaving no gap between the circles. 
I made my strands all different lengths. The shortest had 17 dots, and the longest had 24.
 I wrapped the thread around the dowel at least twice. I then taped the thread in place on the top, and on the back. It would be wise to staple gun the tape also. I did not, but made sure to be VERY gentle in transporting, and untangling.
The end result was about 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The project took me about 6 hours, but I had a hard time as you know. The time would have been cut in half if I had stuck with a simple flat surfaced paper. So do take that into consideration.
Now that it is completed, Get those photo props ready! I got mine HERE. Enjoy!

2 comments :

  1. Hey K! It's Natalie. Steven and I set a wedding date for June 7th, 2014 and will be using your decorating ideas to spice up the church and reception (in church as well). :) I'll look through your shop as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nat Nat! Congratulations!! I am so excited for you! I bet I have some stuff that might help you out? e-mail me your address will ya? :)
      dream.state@live.com

      Check out my tumblr for more ideas too:
      http://dreamstateshop.tumblr.com

      Delete